This vegan carrot and cardamom cake is a wonderful and richly flavored dessert. Moist, and delicate with a crunch from shelled pistachios.
- 1/2 cup unsweetended applesauce
- 2 medium carrots, about 1 cup
- 1 cup canola oil
- 1/2 cup dry roasted pistachios, shelled and halved
- 1 cup dark brown sugar, packed
- ¾ cup sugar
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium mixing bowl, add canola oil, brown sugar and regular sugar and combine with spatula.
- Add apple sauce and combine.
- Add sifted flour, cardamom, cinnamon, baking powder and salt and combine.
- Add grated carrots and pistachios and cobmine.
- Pour batter into a lined 9 x 5 baking loaf and bake for 55-70 minutes until cooked through the center.
- Let cool completely before slicing and serving.
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 2 weeks.
- Taste your pistachios before adding them to the batter to ensure they are crunchy and not rancid
Keywords: Vegan, baking, carrot cake, cardamom, eggless