This delicious vegan carrot and cardamom cake is a wonderful and richly flavored dessert. The cake has warmth from the cardamom, apple sauce, and cinnamon. This cake is well-balanced and has great bite and texture. It is light, moist, and delicate with a wonderful crunch from the pistachios.
What type of cardamom?
There are two main types of cardamom.
For this recipe, you want to use green cardamom. Green cardamom is herbal with notes of pine, yet something about it whispers sweet. Grind the green cardamom pods yourself with a spice grinder or mortar and pestle, or you can buy ground cardamom to make this Vegan Carrot and Cardamom Cake.
What type of applesauce?
I used and suggest unsweetened applesauce as the cake recipe has enough sugar.
Applesauce is used as a substitute for eggs because of the pectin which acts as a binding agent for the Vegan Carrot and Cardamom Cake.
Can I substitute pistachios for another type of nut?
This recipe calls for shelled and halved dry roasted pistachios. Pistachios have a mild flavor which can be slightly sweet. This is why pistachios are often used in desserts.
You can substitute pistachios with walnuts or pecans. However, I would recommend dry roasting them slightly before adding them to the batter.
PISTACHIO PRO TIPS:
- #1– When using any nut, be sure to taste it before using it. If the nuts do not taste good on their own they will not taste good when used in a recipe.
- #2– If you are shelling the pistachios yourself, place the nutmeats between two paper towels and rub until the dry outer layer falls off.
SIGN UP FOR MONTHLY NEWSLETTER
DID YOU LIKE THIS RECIPE FOR VEGAN CARROT AND CARDAMOM CAKE? LEAVE US A RATING! DID YOU LOVE IT? SHARE IT OR LEAVE US A COMMENT ON INSTAGRAM! WANNA SEE MORE? SUBSCRIBE TO OUR NEWSLETTER AND REMEMBER TO FOLLOW US ON PINTEREST!
Other Vegan Recipes:
Other Vegan Desserts:Print
This vegan carrot and cardamom cake is a wonderful and richly flavored dessert. Moist, and delicate with a crunch from shelled pistachios.
- 1/2 cup unsweetended applesauce
- 2 medium carrots, about 1 cup
- 1 cup canola oil
- 1/2 cup dry roasted pistachios, shelled and halved
- 1 cup dark brown sugar, packed
- ¾ cup sugar
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium mixing bowl, add canola oil, brown sugar and regular sugar and combine with spatula.
- Add apple sauce and combine.
- Add sifted flour, cardamom, cinnamon, baking powder and salt and combine.
- Add grated carrots and pistachios and cobmine.
- Pour batter into a lined 9 x 5 baking loaf and bake for 55-70 minutes until cooked through the center.
- Let cool completely before slicing and serving.
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 2 weeks.
- Taste your pistachios before adding them to the batter to ensure they are crunchy and not rancid
Keywords: Vegan, baking, carrot cake, cardamom, eggless