Tadka Daal is made of two components. You guessed it! Tadka and Daal.
Tadka is tempered oil flavored with cumin seeds, asafetida (hing) and paprika. Super simple and quick to make.
Daal is made from boil lentils that are cooked with ginger, turmeric and salt. Together it creates a perfectly seasoned and lightly flavored healthy and nutritious meal.Print
Tadka daal is a thin lentil stew seasoned with tempered oil.
- 1 cup Red Lentils (Masur Daal)
- 1 cup Yellow Split Beans (Moong Daal)
- 4 cups of water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 turmeric powder
- 1/2 inch ginger julienned
- 2 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- pinch of Asafetida (Hing)
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- Rinse and soak the lentils for 30 mins to an hour.
- Drain and rinse the lentils until the water runs clear.
- In a deep pan, add the drained dal and 3 cups water, salt, ginger and turmeric. Cover and cook on low-medium heat until dal mashes easily. Should take about 20-25 minutes.
- In a small pan, heat up the oil. Add the cumin until it starts to brown add the hing and paprika and then quickly add to the lentil pot and stir.
5) Garnish with Cilantro
For great presentation pour the cooked lentils in a serving dish and lightly pour the tempered oil over the lentils.