Light and flavorful vegan butternut squash soup is the perfect fall meal for a chilly day.
- 2–3 pounds of butternut squash
- 4 cups of broth
- 1 large white onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large apple, chopped
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne powder (optional)
- salt to taste
- one fennel bulb
- 1/2 orange zest
- 6 whole black pepercorns
- 1/2 cup white vinegar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- In a large pot heat up oil and saute chopped onion until translucent.
- Add garlic cloves, apple and butternut squash and continue to saute.
- Add broth, cinnamon and brown sugar and let cook at medium heat until butternut squash is tender and cooked through.
- Use an emersion blender and puree the butternut squash until smooth.
- Add cayenne and salt to taste.
- Chop and slice fennel into thin slices.
- Zest orange peel.
- Add sliced fennel, orange zest, and black peppercorns to a heat-proof glass jar.
- In a small saucepan heat up water, vinegar, sugar and salt until it comes to a boil.
- Pour the hot vinegar mixture into the glass jar and leave covered for 30 minutes.
Keywords: Vegan, butternut squash soup, quick pickled fennel