Whether you call it red sauce, meat sauce or bolognese we all know of the delicious flavor that is coaxed from a Slow Cooked Creamy Bolognese Sauce. Having a solid bolognese recipe is a must for most home cooks. It is an easy and simple meal made with available groceries and can be adapted to what is currently in your pantry.
The trick is to take your time and not rush. I mean there is wine in the recipe for a reason. Slow cooking allows you to develop further flavor from each ingredient. You can not overcook a bolognese. All you will do is further develop the flavors. This Slow Cooked Creamy Bolognese is so comforting and hearty you will love it!
Do not confuse this with caramelized onions, which is when you cook onions on low heat for about 45 minutes to draw out the flavors and the natural sugars caramelize.
Caramelizing onions is essentially sautéing onions and it also held create flavor which is imparted throughout the dish.
Browning the Beef:
Add the ground meat to the center of the hot pan. Use a stiff spatula or wooden spoon to break the meat into a few large pieces. Let the meat brown without moving it for 4 to 5 minutes. Break meat into smaller pieces, season, and continue to cook. Break the ground beef into even smaller pieces with your spatula and continue to cook. the beef is browned when the meat develops a dark brown color.
I used ground beef and spicy Italian sausage. Now don’t get me wrong I personally think it makes for a delicious and heart sauce with complex flavors and fun flavor surprises. However, if you don’t have sausages you can easily omit them. Additionally, if you would like to use another type of meat, lets say turkey, feel free to. If using ground chicken of turkey, I would add 1 table spoon of tomato paste to provide bolder flavor.
A delicious and decadent homemade bolognese cause made with ground beef and spicy Italian sausage.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large white onion, diced
- 5 gloves of garlic, minced
- 2 carrots, finely chop
- 3 celer stalks, finely chop
- 2 links of spicy Italian sausage, crumbled
- 1 lb ground beef
- 2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1 teaspoon chili flakes (optional)
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 1 28 ounce can of tomato puree
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
- Start by heating up oil in a large pot.
- Add diced onions and let cook until translucent on medium heat for about 5-7 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook for another 2-3 minutes. Adjuster the heat if the onions begin to burn.
- Uncase the Italian sausage and crumble into the onion cooking in the pot.
- Break up the sausages further with a wooden spoon and let brown on medium/high heat for about 5 minutes.
- Add ground beef and break up and brown on medium/high heat for about 8-10 minutes.
- Add wine and deglaze the bottom of the pan on medium/high heat.
- Let the wine cook down.
- Add finely chop carrots, celery, paprika, mustard powder, dried thyme, dried parsley, salt, pepper, chili flakes to the pot and continue to cook at medium heat for 8-10 minutes.
- Add tomato puree and cook for 15-30 minutes on a medium/low heat.
- Add heavy cream and cook on low heat for another 10 minutes.
- Turn the heat off and add the parmesan cheese before serving.
Use your food processor to finely chop the carrots and onions. It will have so much of time