Rich and delicious Chocolate Shortbread Cookies are a must for this Holiday Season. The batter is easy to make in advance and decorating them can be a fun project to do with children.
- butter, room temperature
- granulated sugar
- kosher salt
- Dutch process cocoa
- ¼ cup black cocoa powder
- all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup white chocolate chips, optional
- Sprinkles or crushed candy canes, optional
- Cream together butter and sugar with a paddle attachment for a good 4-5 minutes. If using a Stand mixer, may need to periodically stop the mixer and scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- Add both sifted cocoa powders and flour, salt and vanilla and combine with a spatula.
- Use the spatula to scrape all of the dough from the bowl and place it onto a sheet of parchment paper.
- Take the parchment paper and gently roll the dough into a log shape. Roll the ends of the parchment paper so the log is covered completely.
- Place in the fridge for a minimum of 2 hours.
- When ready to bake, preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Remove the cookie dough og form the fridge and cut into 1/2 inch slices and lay evenly on a lined baking sheet.
- Place baking sheet in the oven and bake for 16-18 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
- Melt white chocolate in the microwave at 15 second intervals (removing and mixing with a spoon or small spatula) until melted.
- Use a fork to drizzle lines across to dip half the cookie in white chocolate
- Decorate with sprinkles or crushed candy canes and enjoy!
Keywords: chocolate, cookies, shortbread, black cocoa, holiday cookies, chocolate cookies