Delicious, decadent, and creamy are the best ways to describe this flavorful butternut squash soup. Take a simple soup to the next level with some crispy pancetta and sage. The crunchy bites of pancetta add a great texture surprise to this luscious and creamy soup.
Butternut squash soup is definitely one of those things I look forward to during fall. There is a natural sweetness and richness to the butternut squash which helps create warmth and comfort. Believe it or not, this soup is an adaptation from my Vegan Butternut Squash Soup, all I did was add a little heavy cream and garnish with crispy pancetta and fried sage.
Soups are a great simple and easy meal to make when it is cold outside. It makes your insides warm and fills your heart with joy. It is easy to elevate a simple soup my thinking of fun and hearty ways to garnish.
How to make creamy butternut squash soup?
Soups are great to make because chopping vegetables does not need to be pretty of precise as everything will be blended later. It is great to make on a weekday when you do not want to spend a ton of time chopping.
Peel the butternut squash and chop into chunks. Chop onions into a large dice and the apple into chunks as well.
Start by caramelizing onions with some olive oil. Once the onions get translucent add in whole garlic cloves. (Yes, whole is correct). Add butternut squash and chopped apple and toss. Add the broth and spices and let simmer until the butternut squash is cooked through.
Turn the heat off and use a blender to puree the chunks until your desired consistency. Add the heavy cream and mix with a spoon. Taste and adjust salt and heat accordingly.
How to make crispy pancetta and sage?
Simply add 4 ounces of pancetta to a frying pan and let it look in its own fat at medium heat until all the fat has rendered out. Then take a slotted spoon and remove the pancetta from the pan and place it on to a paper toweled plate. The paper towel will soak up the excess fat and leave the pancetta nice and crispy. Add a couple of sage leaves to the leftover rendered fat and let cook until it gets crisp, should be about 2-3 minutes. Use the same slotted spoon and remove the sage leaves from the hot pan and place it onto the paper toweled plate.
NEWSLETTER SIGN UP
Do I have to use Honeycrisp Apple?
You do not have to use Honeycrisp Apple and can use Granny Smith or Red Delicious.
Do I have to use white onion?
I would recommend using white onion because it has a sweeter flavor. You can use shallots or yellow onions, just adjust the amount of brown sugar if needed. I would not recommend red onion as it is not sweet enough and has a sharp flavor that will not compliment the other ingredients as well.
Can I substitute red pepper for cayenne in this Creamy Butternut Squash Soup?
You can certainly substitute red pepper for cayenne, however, I would add the red pepper to the onions and allow the red pepper flakes to flavor the oil. This will increase the heat from the red pepper which is already fighting against some sweet flavored ingredients (onion, brown sugar, butternut squash).
Other Soup Recipes:
- Sweet Potato and Butternut Squash Soup
- Healthy Leftover Turkey and Vegetable Soup
- Cold Cucumber and Yogurt Soup
- Spicy Vegan Butternut Squash Soup
Other Fall Recipes:
DID YOU LIKE THIS RECIPE FOR CREAMY BUTTERNUT SQUASH SOUP? LEAVE US A RATING! DID YOU LOVE IT? SHARE IT OR LEAVE US A COMMENT ON INSTAGRAM! WANNA SEE MORE? SUBSCRIBE TO OUR NEWSLETTER AND REMEMBER TO FOLLOW US ON PINTEREST!Print
Delicious, decadent, and creamy butternut squash soup topped with crispy pancetta and sage is a great way to elevate a simple fall soup
- 2–3 pounds of butternut squash, chopped into chunks
- 4 cups of broth
- 1 large white onion, chopped into large dice
- 2 cloves garlic, whole
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large honeycrisp apple, chopped into chunks
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne powder (optional)
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- salt to taste
CRISPY PANCETTA & SAGE:
- 4 ounces pancetta
- 4–5 sage leaves
- In a large pot heat up oil and sauté chopped onion until translucent.
- Add garlic cloves, apple and butternut squash and continue to sauté for about 1-2 minutes
- Add broth, cinnamon and brown sugar and let cook at medium heat until butternut squash is tender and cooked through.
- Use an emersion blender and puree the butternut squash until smooth.
- Add heavy cream and mix with a spoon.
- Add cayenne and salt to taste.
- In a small frying pan, cook the pancetta at medium heat until the fat renders out.
- Take a slotted spoon and remove the pancetta bits and place on a paper toweled plate*.
- Add sage leaves to the rendered fat and allow it to crisp. Should only take 1-2 minutes.
- Remove sage leaves from the pan and place on the toweled plate.
- Sprinkle the pancetta and sage leave on top of the bowl of soup and enjoy!
- The paper towel will soak up the excess fat and help make the pancetta and sage crispy
Keywords: creamy butternut squash soup, crispy pancetta and sage