Spicy and creamy tomato and basil soup is a quick and easy to make with the Instant Pot. A delicious dish perfect for a weeknight dinner.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium white onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon red chili flakes, optional
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 28 ounces of diced tomatoes
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- ¼ cup fresh basil leaves
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- Salt to taste
- Turn Instant Pot onto Sauté Mode.
- Add oil and chopped onions and cook onions until translucent.
- Add garlic, paprika, red pepper flakes and oregano and sauté for another couple minutes.
- Add tomato paste and sauté for another few minutes.
- Add canned tomatoes and scrape the bottom of the pot to ensure no bits are stuck.
- Turn the Instant Pot Off.
- Add stock and basil and stir.
- Place lid on the Instant Pot and make sure the Release Valve is on Sealing Setting.
- Turn on Pressure Mode and adjust setting the Instant Pot to Low Pressure and cook for 10 minutes.
- Naturally Release the pressure by leaving the Release Valve to the Sealing Setting for 10 minutes.
- After the pressure has released, open the lid and add the cream and sugar.
- Then use an emersion blender to puree and combine to the desired consistency.
- Taste and add salt if needed.
If using plum tomatoes, then squash tomatoes when you add them to the Instant Pot and you can omit sugar
Keywords: Instant Pot, Soup, tomato, basil, spicy