Spicy and creamy tomato and basil soup is a delicious and comforting dish. Wonderfully layered flavors are quick and easy to create with the Instant Pot. It is perfect for a weekday or even the middle of the day lunch meal. Requiring minimal prep work and no time standing over the stove. While still providing all that rich, sweet flavors we crave from a tomato soup.
Soups are healthy and hearty dishes to make. They are packed with vegetables and are great sources of nutrients, fiber, and vitamins. Pureed soups, such as this Instant Pot Spicy Tomato and Basil Soup, are extremely easy to make with a few fresh ingredients that do not need to be perfectly chopped.
How to make Instant Pot Spicy Tomato and Basil Soup
Turn Instant Pot onto Sauté Mode and add oil and onions. Cook onions until translucent. Add garlic, paprika, red pepper flakes, and oregano and sauté for another couple of minutes. Then add tomato paste and sauté for another few minutes. Add canned tomatoes and scrape the bottom of the pot to ensure no bits are stuck. Turn the Instant Pot off. Add stock and basil and stir. Place lid on the instant pot and make sure the Release Valve is on Sealing Setting. Turn on Pressure Mode. And adjust setting the Instant Pot to Low Pressure and cook for 10 minutes. Realease the pressure Naturally by leaving the Release Valve to the Sealing Setting position for 10 minutes. Open the lid and add the cream and sugar. Then use an emersion blender to puree and combine to the desired consistency. Taste and add salt if needed.
What type of tomato is best for Instant Pot Tomato and Basil Soup?
Canned plum tomatoes or diced tomatoes are best. Plum tomatoes, especially San Marzano, tend to have a sweeter taste. Therefore, you will not need to add sugar at the end. You may also need to smash and squash the plum tomatoes when adding them to the instant pot, either by hand or with a wooden spoon or potato masher.
SIGN UP FOR THE NEWSLETTER
What is the difference between low pressure and high pressure?
While most people do not use the low-pressure setting, I find that it works well for vegetables, eggs, lentils, and delicate seafood. Some will argue that cooking at low pressure means cooking for a longer period of time, I have found the total time to be comfortable since it takes less time to reach the low pressure.
While you can certainly make this Instant Pot Spicy Tomato and Basil Soup in the high-pressure setting, it will not add anything to the dish.
What if I don’t have an emersion blender?
If you do not have an emersion blender, turn off the instant pot and let the soup mixture cool slightly for about 5 minutes. Then transfer the soup mixture to a blender with the cream and sugar and blend until smooth.
How to store Instant Pot Spicy Tomato and Basil Soup?
You can store this soup in the fridge for up to 2 weeks or in the freezer for 3 months.
Repurpose Tomato Soup:
In a large pan, cook down some ground meat. Once the meat is fully cooked add the tomato soup, chopped vegetables, and uncooked pasta. You may need to add a little water, depending on how much soup is leftover. Either way, the dish will be flavorful fun, and delicious! Top with some parmesan cheese and serve. Your family won’t even realize they are eating leftovers and you will have two simple and hearty one-pot meals!
Other Soup Recipes:
- Vegan Butternut Squash Soup
- Bulgarian Cucumber and Yogurt Soup
- Creamy Butternut Squash Soup
- Healthy Leftover Turkey and Vegetable Soup
- Sweet Potato and Butternut Squash Soup
Other Instant Pot Recipes:
DID YOU LIKE THIS RECIPE FOR INSTANT POT SPICY TOMATO AND BASIL SOUP? LEAVE US A RATING! DID YOU LOVE IT? SHARE IT OR LEAVE US A COMMENT ON INSTAGRAM! WANNA SEE MORE? SUBSCRIBE TO OUR NEWSLETTER AND REMEMBER TO FOLLOW US ON PINTEREST!Print
Spicy and creamy tomato and basil soup is a quick and easy to make with the Instant Pot. A delicious dish perfect for a weeknight dinner.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium white onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon red chili flakes, optional
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 28 ounces of diced tomatoes
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- ¼ cup fresh basil leaves
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- Salt to taste
- Turn Instant Pot onto Sauté Mode.
- Add oil and chopped onions and cook onions until translucent.
- Add garlic, paprika, red pepper flakes and oregano and sauté for another couple minutes.
- Add tomato paste and sauté for another few minutes.
- Add canned tomatoes and scrape the bottom of the pot to ensure no bits are stuck.
- Turn the Instant Pot Off.
- Add stock and basil and stir.
- Place lid on the Instant Pot and make sure the Release Valve is on Sealing Setting.
- Turn on Pressure Mode and adjust setting the Instant Pot to Low Pressure and cook for 10 minutes.
- Naturally Release the pressure by leaving the Release Valve to the Sealing Setting for 10 minutes.
- After the pressure has released, open the lid and add the cream and sugar.
- Then use an emersion blender to puree and combine to the desired consistency.
- Taste and add salt if needed.
If using plum tomatoes, then squash tomatoes when you add them to the Instant Pot and you can omit sugar
Keywords: Instant Pot, Soup, tomato, basil, spicy