Savory and delicious instant pot shredded tandoori chicken is a quick and easy meal to make. Turn in into tacos or serve with rice and yogurt. Either way you will not be disappointed.
I am an Indian. Proud to call myself Indian and proud to be Indian. But that wasn’t always the case. My journey is not linear nor is it representative of any other Indian person other than me.
I was born in New Delhi and is where my maternal grandmother (Nanima) and paternal grandparents (Dadima and Dadaji) lived. It’s where in India I would say I am from, which is amusing since I never lived there.
I would go visit my grandparents very often as a child and have many memories of them introducing my and sister and me to different kinds of Indian foods.
My Dadaji loved taking us to this kabab shop where he would get us fresh and warm romali rotis and tandoori chicken. I still remember the first time I ate romali roti and tandoori chicken. I remember thinking about it for the next couple of days and not understanding why we couldn’t make this every day.
Tandoori chicken was not something that was made in my house growing up. It was a treat to eat and also had to come from a specific dhaba (roadside restaurant) where it was made in the tandoor.
In the world of quarantine and social isolation, I found myself craving this familiar taste. Generally, I make my Tandoori Chicken in the air fryer and it hits that craving. However, this time I decided to make Shredded Tandoori Chicken in the Instant Pot.
What is a tandoor?
A tandoor is an oven that is made of clay with some sort of insulating material like concrete on the outside. They are a large cylindrical and curve inward to concentrate the heat. The top is open to allow access and air. A fire is built in the bottom. The oven and the air inside can reach over 900° Fahrenheit.
How to make tandoori chicken?
Marinade chicken in yogurt, lemon, and spices. Turn the instant pot on to Sauté Setting. Add ghee or oil into the pan and heat up. Normally I do not cook with ghee, but my mother-in-law made me some fresh ghee, and I was excited to try it. Ghee, when heated, releases this nutty and warm aroma that will fill your heart with happiness and get you so excited to eat this meal.
Add aromatics, onions, peppers, and marinated chicken. Turn the instant pot to from Sauté Mode to Pressure Mode. Check to make sure the Pressure Level is High and set for 8 minutes. Secure the lid and make sure the Release Valve is on the Sealing Setting. Natural Release for 10 minutes and open the lid. The chicken will be super tender and shred easily.
Shred the chicken in a KitchenAid with the flat paddle. This chicken shreds thinly, making the texture light and fluffy. The light texture works well with the assertive flavor of the chicken. Place the shredded chicken back in the instant pot on Saute Mode to allow the liquid to evaporate the flavor absorb into the chicken.
Goes Well With:
- tandoori powder
- garam masala
- black cardamom
- cinnamon sticks
- bay leaf
- cumin seeds
- coriander powder
Other Indian Recipes:
Savory and delicious instant pot shredded tandoori chicken is a quick and easy meal to make. Turn in into tacos or serve with rice and yogurt.
- 1.5 lbs chicken breasts, boneless, skinless, cut into chunks
- 1/2 cup yogurt
- 1 small onion, sliced into half moons
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, sliced
- 2 tbsp Tandoori Powder
- 2 tsp garam masala
- 2 tsp coriander powder
- 1 jalapeno or serrano pepper, minced
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 black cardamom
- 3 whole cloves
- 1 small cinnamon stick
- 2 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons ginger, minced
- 1/2 lime, squeezed
- 1/3 cup cilantro, chopped
- 2 tbsp oil or ghee
- Marinade chicken in yogurt, lime, garlic, ginger Tandoori Powder, coriander powder, paprika, and salt.
- Turn the instant pot on to Sauté Mode.
- Add ghee or oil into the pot and heat up.
- Add bay leaf, cumin seeds, black cardamom and cloves and allow to heat.
- Add jalepeno and cook.
- Add onions, peppers and garam masala and cook until translucent.
- Add marinated chicken and turn the instant pot to from Sauté Mode to Pressure Mode.
- Check to make sure the Pressure Level is High and set for 8 minutes.
- Secure the lid and make sure the Release Valve is on the Sealing Setting.
- Allow Natural Release for 10 minutes. (Natural Release is when you leave the Realve Valve on the Sealing Setting).
- Turn the Release Valve to the Venting Setting to relese any more pressure and open the lid.
- Shred chicken with forks and place back into the instant pot and turn on Saute Mode and cook until water evaporates.
Hungry Girl in Queens is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.