Roghan Ghosh, or Lamb Rogan Josh or some variable therein, comes from the Kashmiri region of India and was brought to the region through the Mugals who were heavily influenced by Persia. In the Persian language, “Roghan” means clarified butter and “Ghosh” means passion. This gravy is intense in flavor with a fiery red color, however the heat is still well-balanced and not overwhelming. Thanks to the Instant Pot cooking Roghan Gosh is a fool proof endeavor!
Rogan Ghosh is all about developing that strong fiery red color and intense heat. Lamb or goat meat is marinaded in yogurt, paprika, lemon, ginger, garlic and salt. Or the perfect balance of salt, fat, acid and heat? These wonderful flavors infuse into the meat creating a wonderful seasoned bite of meat. This is the type of dish you will wake up the next day thinking about.
Yogurt slowly tenderizes the meat helping to create that luscious fall of the bone texture and bite we all crave. No Joke, look at that picture! The meat is falling off the bone. Cooking the Roghan Gosh becomes super simple and easy with the help of the Instant Pot. Try out the recipe and let me know what you think!
More Instant Pot Recipes:
Tender and juicy, yogurt marinaded meat in a bold and well seasoned gravy. Served with rice or roti.
- 2 lbs goat shoulder, cubed in 1 inch pieces
- 1/4 cup yogurt (preferably whole milk)
- 2 tbsp paprika powder
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp fresh ginger, grated
- 8 garlic gloves, minced
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 Tbsp oil or ghee
- bay leaf
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- ping of asafetida (hing)
- 1/4 cup water
- pinch saffron
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon powder
- 1/4 tsp clove powder
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 cardamom powder
- 1/2 cup yogurt (whole milk preferred)
- Combine goat, yogurt, paprika, ginger, garlic, lemon juice and salt until well mixed and uniform. Leave to marinade for at least an hour but preferably overnight.
- Turn the Instant Pot to Saute Mode. Add oil and let it heat up. Once hot add the bay leaf, turmeric and hing.
- Add the marinated goat to the pot and saute until it browns.
- Add water, cinnamon powder, clove powder, black pepper, cardamom powder, yogurt, saffron and stir in lightly. Press Cancel Mode on the Instant Pot.
- Secure the lid on the Instapot and make sure the Pressure Release Valve is on the Sealing Setting. Select the Pressure Cook Mode and cook for 20 minutes at high pressure.
- The pressure release naturally for 15 minute (keep the Pressure Release Valve at the Sealing Setting)
- The move the Pressure Release Valve to the Venting Setting. (This may cause a release of steam so use a wooden spoon to be safe). Remove the lid.
- Pour and serve.
To let the pressure release naturally, you keep the Pressure Release Valve at the Sealing Setting.
To release the pressure or vet you move the Pressure Release Valve to the Venting Setting, this can cause the release of hot steam, therefore I like to use a spoon to check before turn in fully.