Cooking a bone-in leg of lamb can seem daunting but it is actually pretty easy. The trick to cooking a beautiful bone-in leg of lamb is the cooking temperature. Roast the lamb initially at a high temperature to create a hard crust on the outside. Then bring the temperature down to ensure the internal meat remains juicy and tender.
Looking to cook leg of lamb? I highly recommend this simple and tasty recipe to prove you are the queen of the kitchen. Mix together a Mediterranean flavor bomb which with garlic, rosemary, thyme and oregano. Those delicious flavors are messaged into the leg of lamb allowing the flavors to infuse into the meat.
It is important to marinade the lamb just before the cooking as the salt in the marinade will cause the meat to leach water and loose flavor.
To achieve that delicious crust of flavor on the lamb, start the oven at 425 degrees for 20 minutes before lowering the temperature to to 350 degrees for the rest of the cooking time.
You will want an internal meat temperature of 135 degrees in order to cook the lamb to a medium temperature.Print
This leg of lamb has a beautiful crust and tender juicy meat on the inside. This will become a family favorite for holidays and special occasions.
- 6.5 lbs leg of lamb, bone in
- 6 cloves of garlic, half slivered and half chopped
- 6 cloves of garlic, grated
- 2 tablespoons fresh rosemary, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme, chopped
- 2 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 lemon, zest and juice
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons dijon mustard
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1 tablespoon sea salt
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- Take the lamb out of the fridge at least an hour before it needs to go into the fridge so it can get to room temperature.
- Preheat oven at 425 degrees.
- Pierce the leg of lamb with a knife and insert the slivers of garlic all around the surface.
- In a small bowl mix together the remaining garlic, rosemary, thyme, oregano, oil, mustard, paprika, juice and zest of 1 lemon, and season with salt and pepper.
- Place the lamb in a large baking dish (preferably on top of a rack so it may cook on all sides).
- Cover with lamb with the marinade.
- Roast the lamb in a preheated 425°F oven for 20 minutes, then reduce the heat to 350°F and roast until tender enough to pull from the bone, about 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
- Let the meat rest on the counter for 30 minutes before you slice to let the juices settle.
Cook to 135 degree internal temperature when it comes out of the oven for a medium cooking temperature as it will continue to cook once out of the oven.