This eggless black forest cake is made from a delicious and moist chocolate cake, tart cherry filling, and smooth and creamy whipped cream frosting. The rich chocolate flavor from the cake is perfectly muted by the delicate whipped cream which allows for a burst of flavor from the cherries. This is a wonderful cake to make for loved ones when celebrating a birthday or milestone.
Black Forest cake is a chocolate sponge cake with a rich cherry filling based on the German dessert Schwarzwälder Kirschtorte, literally “Black Forest Cherry-torte”.
Traditional Black Forrest Cake:
Traditional black forest cake is made with a chiffon sponge. A chiffon sponge is made with egg whites which are whipped to provide levity to the sponge.
As I was vested in making my version eggless (due to a family member’s allergy), I used my Amazing Vegan Chocolate Cake recipe for the base instead. This cake recipe is far easier and quicker to make than the traditional chiffon sponge.
Additionally, traditional black forest cake is made with Kirschwasser, or Krisch, in German, a clear un-aged brandy that is distilled from the fermented juice of black morello cherries. While I ordered Krisch, it did not arrive in time so instead I went with a little amaretto as cherries and almonds are one of my favorite combinations.
How to make eggless black forest cake:
Start by making the cake. Add oil and sugars and combine with a spatula. Then add sifted flour and cocoa powder and combine with a spatula. Add water and combine. Add baking soda, salt, and vinegar and combine. Pour the cake batter into a springform pan or divide the batter and pour into two 8 inch cake pans. Bake in the oven at 350 degrees.
Heat cherry juice in a small pot on the stove at medium until it begins to bubble. Add cornflour and sugar and mix until combined and no lumps. Then the pitted and quartered fresh ferries and combine for 2-3 minutes. Add krish or amaretto and remove the pot from the heat. The cherry filling will continue to cook as it cools.
Whip heavy cream and powdered sugar with vanilla extract until it forms stiff peaks.
How to assemble eggless black forest cake:
Slice off the dome of the cake so it is even. Place it on the serving dish and top with cherry filling. Even out the filling until it covers the entirety of the cake. Top the cherry filling with whipped cream and spread until an even layer covers the cherry filling.
Place second cake (with the dome sliced off so it is even) on top of the whipped cream. Top the cake with whipped cream and spread evenly. Fill the rest of the whipped cream into a piping bag and pipe the sides of the cake.
Use a flat angled knife to even out the sides of the cake until smooth. When you are happy with the look of the cake and the amount of whipped cream frosting on all sides, pipe rosettes on the top of the cake. You can place fresh cherries with the stems on the rosettes and shave dark chocolate into the center of the cake for decoration.
Some components of this cake can be made ahead of time. Specifically, the cake and cherry filling can be made ahead of time. The whipped cream, however, will fall flat and therefore is best made prior to assembling the cake.
Leave the cake covered at room temperature for a day prior to assembly. Any longer and it is better to store the cake in the fridge.
Sote the cherry filling in the fridge. Be sure to take out of the fridge at least one hour prior to assembly. If it the filling still feels thick add 1 tablespoon of cherry juice and mix to loosen.
Fully assemble the cake the day before (any longer and the whipped cream will start to fall). Be sure to store the cake in the fridge as the whipped cream will begin to melt and lose its structure.
Reasons to make eggless black forest cake:
Taste– This is a delicious cake whether you are looking for an eggless dessert option or not. While making this cake is work, eating it at the end is the perfect reward.
Dietary Restrictions- A great option when a guest is allergic to eggs or does not eat eggs due to religious or healthy reasons. (You even use whipped coconut cream as the frosting to make the cake for Vegan guests)
Make Ahead– Make components of the cake ahead of time. Leaving you only to assemble and serve.
Ego– This is a double layer chocolate cake. With cherry and whipped cream filling. Topped with whipped cream, chocolate shavings, and fresh cherries. It looks grand, allows you to be creative, and will certainly impress your guests. You will feel accomplished and proud to make this cake.
NEWSLETTER SIGN UP
Other Holiday Recipes:
- Brown Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Rosemary and Orange Shortbread Cookies
- Spicy Ginger Molasses Cookies
- Pumpkin Spice Snickerdoodles
- Chocolate Olive Oil Cookies
- Cardamom and Saffron Rice Pudding
- Candy Cane Fudge
- Chai Crème Brûlée
Other Cake Recipes:
This eggless black forest cake is made from a delicious and moist chocolate cake, tart cherry filling, and smooth and creamy whipped cream frosting.
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
- 3/4 cup (60 grams) unsweetened cocoa, sifted
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup canola or vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essense
- 1 1/2 cups warm water
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- pitted ,
- 1 tablespoon amaretto
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla essense
- Preheat oven to to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, ass oil and sugars and whisk with a hand mixer.
- Add flour, coca powder, vanilla and combine half.
- Add warm water and finish combining.
- Add white vinegar and baking soda and salt.
- Pour cake batter into two 8 inch baking pans.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until cooked through.
- Remove from the oven and leave in the pan until cooled.
- Pour cherry juice into amedium sauce pan.
- Add sugar and cornflour and mix with a whisk until discoved and not lumps.
- Add pitted cherries and amaretto and continue to whisk for another minute.
- Remove from the heat and it will continue to thicken as it cools.
- Let it cool before assmpling the cake.
- Slice the top dome of the cake once cooled in preparation for assembly.
- Using a stand mixer or a hand mixer whip heavy cream, powdered sugar and vanilla until it forms stiff peaks. (Complete this step just prior to assembly as the whipped cream will begin to fall)
- Place a flattened cake onto a serving tray.
- Layer with cherry filling and spread evenly.
- Layer with whipped cream and spread evenly.
- Top with second flattened chocolate cake.
- Top second cake layer with most of the whipped cream (leave some whipped cream to pipe decoration if desired).
- Evenly spread whipped cream on the stp and sides of the cake.
- Pipe decorations ont he top of the cake.
- Garnish with shaved chocolate and fresh cherries.
- If you do not have two cake pans, use one spring frm pan for the cake and slice down the center prior to assemblying.
Keywords: black forest cake, eggless, baking