Easy sweet potato casserole with a brown butter and pecan strudel topping is a classic Thanksgiving side. It provides all the warmth and richness we all crave in the fall. The sweet potatoes are whipped with eggs, butter, and spices into a smooth and creamy mixture. Topped with a nutty and crunchy strudel which adds texture, flavor, and fun.
Thanksgiving would not be Thanksgiving without sweet potato casserole. With the simple twist of browning the butter before making the strudel topping, you not only create this amazing smell in your home but also bring out the wonderful fall flavors.
How to make roast sweet potatoes?
Sprinkle oil on top of the sweet potatoes and lather with your hands. Stab a fork into each sweet potato about 3-4 times. Sprinkle generously with salt and place on a baking dish at 425 degrees for at least 40 minutes.
The natural sugars in the sweet potato begin to caramelize and release a wonderful sweet smell. You make also see the sugars starting to bubble and caramelize on the skin of the sweet potato.
How to make brown butter?
In a small pot melt the butter on medium-low heat until it bubbles for about 5 minutes. The butter should develop a nutty aroma and begin to develop a brown color. Be careful not to burn the butter. Set aside to cool then complete.
How to make sweet potato casserole?
Once the sweet potatoes have roasted allow them to cool. Use your hands to remove the outer skin. This should be an easy process once cool. Place the sweet potato flesh into a large bowl along with eggs, brown sugar, cinnamon, cloves, salt, and cayenne. Use a paddle attachment on a stand mixer or a mashed to create the sweet potatoes casserole.
NEWSLETTER SIGN UP
How to make strudel topping?
Once you make the brown butter, let it cool for 10 minutes. Then mix with brown sugar, flour, cinnamon, salt and chopped pecans.
Place the mashed sweet potatoes into a casserole dish and top with the strudel topping and bake in the oven.
Other Vegetarian Dishes:
DID YOU LIKE THIS RECIPE FOR SWEET POTATO CASSEROLE? LEAVE US A RATING! DID YOU LOVE IT? SHARE IT OR LEAVE US A COMMENT ON INSTAGRAM! WANNA SEE MORE? SUBSCRIBE TO OUR NEWSLETTER AND REMEMBER TO FOLLOW US ON PINTEREST!
Other Fall Favorites:
- Sweet Potato and Butternut Squash Soup
- Pumpkin Bread
- Pumpkin Risotto with Goat Cheese
- Butternut Squash Soup
- Pumpkin Spice Snickerdoodles
- Dry Brine Garlic, Lemon and Herb Turkey
Easy sweet potato casserole with a brown butter and pecan strudel topping is a great twist on a classic Thanksgiving side.
- 1 1/2 lbs Sweet potatoes
- 2 Eggs, large
- 2 tablespoon butter
- 3/4 cup Brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp Cayenne
- 1 tsp Cinnamon, ground
- 1/8 tsp Cloves, ground
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1/4 cup Flour
- 1/2 tsp Cinnamon, ground
- 1 pinch Salt
- 1/4 cup Brown butter
- 1/4 cup Pecans, chopped (leave a few for garnish)
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Lather sweet potatoes in olive oil and sprinkle with salt. Stick a fork in each potato three to four times.
- Roast in oven at 400 degrees for 40 mins or until tender.
- While potatoes are roasting, prepare the brown butter by heating the butter at a medium low heat in a small sauce pan until it begins to foam. Swish the butter in the pan until you start seeing brown specks on the bottom. Be careful not to burn the butter.
- Let the brown butter cool to room temperature for about 10 minutes.
- In a small mixing bowl combine the rest of the topping ingredients together. Add the brown butter ad mix and set aside.
- Once the sweet potatoes have cooked, remove from the oven and let cool before removing the skin (at least 30 minutes).
- Add skinned sweet potatoes into a large bowl with the rest of the casserole ingredients and combine.
- Pour the sweet potato mixture into a casserole dish and sprinkle topping over sweet potato and bake in the oven at 350 degrees for 10-15 minutes.
Keywords: sweet potato casserole, brown butter topping, strudel, pecan topping