A dutch baby pancake is baked in the oven it puffs up dramatically and develops a crispy rim while the base remains flat and tender.
- 4 tablespoons soft butter, divided
- 4 eggs
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup flour, sifted
- 2/3 cup milk
- syrup and fresh fruit for serving (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 400.
- Add two tablespoons of butter to a cast iron skillet and place in the oven during the last ten minutes of preheating.
- To make the pancakes, add the eggs to a blender and blend until light yellow.
- Add the sugar, salt, flour, milk, and remaining two tablespoons of butter, and blend until smooth.
- Pour the batter into the hot cast iron skillet (be careful not to burn yourself!).
- Bake 20 minutes, then reduce temperature to 350 and bake an additional 5-10 minutes, until the pancake is deep golden brown and puffed up around the edges and the center jiggles slightly.
- Serve warm with desired toppings.