These perfect Holiday Meringue Cookies are crispy on the outside with a nougat-like chewy interior and are gluten-free and fat-free.
- 2 large egg whites
- ½ cup white sugar
- ¼ teaspoon cream of tartar
- pinch of Kosher Salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- sprinkles (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 225 degrees.
- In an empty bowl attached to a stand mixer with a whisk attachment, add egg whites and whisk at low for 1 minutes.
- Add cream of tartar and increase speed for 1 minute.
- Increase speed again and wait until the egg whites start foaming, if needed increase speed again.
- Once the egg whites are frothy, add sugar once tablespoon at a time, increasing the speed to high.
- Continue whipping eggs until fully combined with sugar and form a stiff peak.
- Add salt and vanilla essence into the batter and combine with a spatula.
- Take a piping bag and attach the tip you would like to use.
- Place the piping bag into a tall glass and fold over the sides of the piping bag.
- Scoop the meringue mixture and place into the piping bag.
- On a lined baking tray, make small one-inch wide circles with the piping bag to create cookies evenly.
- Pipe all the meringue batter onto lined baking trays.
- Top with sprinkles if desired.
- Place in the oven and bake for one hour
- Turn the oven off and leave in the hot oven for another 2-3 hours, until the oven fully cools.
- Take out of the oven and enjoy.
- While adding the sugar increase the speed. It is okay to stop the stand mixer and scrap the sugar from the sides of the bowl and check if the egg whites form stiff peaks
Keywords: meringue, cookies, egg whites, gluten free