Delicious and simple gluten-free Indian Kheer dessert. This saffron and cardamom rice pudding is cooked with pistachios and raisins.
- 1/4 cup rice basmati rice
- 1 teaspoon ghee or butter
- 3 green cardamom pods
- 4 cups of whole milk
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons chopped pistachios and raisins
- pinch of saffron
- In a large even bottomed pan, add ghee and heat to medium-high heat.
- Add crushed green cardamom, pistachios and raisins and continue to heat.
- Add rice and toast for 2-3 minutes.
- Add 3 1/2 cups of milk and let it come to a gentle boil and lower to medium and let the rice cook to just cooked should take about 8-10 minutes.
- Heat up 1/2 cup of milk in the mircowave for 45 seconds. Add saffron to hot milk and let seep.
- Add sugar and saffrom milk to the rice and let it finish cooking for a couple mintures while the sugar dissolves.
- The pudding will thicken as it cools so turn the heat off before it gets to the desired consistency.
- Let the rice pudding cool on the stove top for 30 minutes and then store in an air tight container in the fridge.
- Garnish with saffron threds and pistachios.
- Remove the cardamom pods before serving is desired.