Delicious, moist, and soft pound cake flavored with orange zest and fresh cranberries is the perfect dessert for your family. Fresh cranberries are a wonderful fruit to use in baking as it holds its shape and provides wonderful tart bursts which pair well with a buttery rich cake. The orange zest and sour cream help brighten the cranberries and create a well-balanced dessert.
The cake has such moisture, flavor, and softness that it literally melts in your mouth. It doesn’t need a drizzle, glaze, or any icing at all. If you want to dress it up, feel free to serve it with some whipped cream or powdered sugar. Serve it with some coffee or tea for a perfect dessert or snack. It is a simple and easy dessert to make with a great crumb and texture. I tested a few varieties and found this combination to work time and again by creating a truly soft and light cake.
How to make Cranberry and Orange Pound Cake
Start by creaming together butter and sugar. Use the paddle attachment of your stand mixer and mix them together for at least 5 minutes. This will give your pound cake the structure it needs to rise. Scrape the sides of the mixing bowl to ensure all the butter is mixed with the sugar.
Next, add the sour cream and mix for 1 minute until combined. Then add the eggs one at a time. Ensure each egg is completely mixed into the batter before adding another egg. Then add salt, baking powder, and vanilla and combine with a spatula. Finally, add sifted flour. Half cup at a time and fold with the spatula. The batter should be luscious and creamy. Finally, add orange zest and cranberries and fold into the batter.
Use a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan to bake your pound cake. Butter and flour the loaf pan. Pour the batter into the loaf pan and bake until it is cooked through the center.
How to butter and flour a loaf pan?
You do this by rubbing a tablespoon of room temperature butter on the inside of the loaf pan and then sprinkling a tablespoon of flour to the inside of the pan. Move the pan around so the flour will fully coat the pan and stick to the butter.
Why do I need to butter and flour the loaf pan when making a pound cake?
While this may seem like an unnecessary step, it is important to create the soft and pillow-like edges you want to form a pound cake. Using a cooking spray will create a crust on the bottom, which is not ideal with a pound cake.
How do I know if the pound cake is cooked through?
Stick a knife or skewer into the center of the cake all the way to the bottom and pull it back out. The knife should come out clean otherwise more time in the oven is needed.
Why is it called a pound cake?
Pound cake is a type of cake traditionally made with a pound of each of the four ingredients: flour, butter, eggs, and sugar.
How to store Cranberry and Orange Pound Cake?
Store Orange and Cranberry Pound Cake at room temperate for 2 weeks in an airtight container or in the fridge in an airtight container for 1 month. You can also wrap and freeze the pound cake for 3 months in the fridge.
Other Cake Recipes:
- Black Forest Cake
- Vegan Carrot and Cardamom Cake
- Berry Crumble Cake
- Apple Cake
- Chocolate Molten Lava Cake
DID YOU LIKE THIS RECIPE FOR CRANBERRY AND ORANGE POUND CAKE? LEAVE US A RATING! DID YOU LOVE IT? SHARE IT OR LEAVE US A COMMENT ON INSTAGRAM! WANNA SEE MORE? SUBSCRIBE TO OUR NEWSLETTER AND REMEMBER TO FOLLOW US ON PINTEREST!Print
Delicious, moist, and soft pound cake flavored with orange zest and fresh cranberries is the perfect dessert for your family.
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 large orange, zested
- 1 ½ cups fresh cranberries
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Use the paddle attachment of your stand mixer and creaming together butter and sugar for at least 5 minutes until light a fluffy. Be sure to scrape the sides of the mixing bowl at intervals to ensure all the butter is mixed with the sugar.
- Add the sour cream and mix for 1 minute until combined.
- Then add the eggs one at a time and continue mixing together with the paddle attachment. You want to ensure each egg is mixed into the batter before adding another egg.
- Add salt, baking powder, and vanilla and combine with a spatula.
- Add sifted flour half cup at a time and combined it with the spatula. The batter should be luscious and creamy.
- Add orange zest and cranberries and fold into the batter.
- Butter and flour a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan.
- Pour in the batter into loaf pan and bake for 60-70 minutes until it is cooked through the center.
- To butter and flour a pan you need to rub a tablespoon of room temperature butter on the inside of the loaf pan and then sprinkling a tablespoon of flour to the inside of the pan. Move the flour around the inside of the loaf pan until it is fully coated.
Keywords: cranberry and orange, pound cake, dessert, treat, winter